Hello world! Welcome to my blog. 🙂
I’m Allison and I’m excited to get started posting here. My hope is that Making Stuff Today is not only fun for me to write and research for, but also fun (and valuable!) for anyone stopping by. I have tons of ideas planned, but in general you can expect to find topics in these areas:
- the creative process
- how to [insert crafty or artsy technique]
- how to make specific projects
- resources to help you get started on a craft
- inspiration for future projects
I make no claims of expert knowledge, but I do have some valuable tips and tricks up my sleeve.
What I Love Most
I’ve always been interested in art to some extent. I’ve gone through very passionate phases with several hobbies and I expect to continue to cycle through topics as we go here. So–expect some variety! But these are some more specific topics I’m especially interested in:
- finding and collecting inspiration
- (modern) cross stitch and embroidery
- blackwork embroidery, especially
- designing my own patterns
- SALs (Stitch Alongs)
- (modern) patchwork and quilting
- mail art
- making my own postcards, envelopes, etc.
- ideas for swaps on Swap-bot
- stickers, ephemera, papers, etc
- modern lettering/faux calligraphy
- geometric drawings
- practicing sashiko-style embroidery with drawings
- collage art
- digital illustration
- pencil drawings (usually people as subjects)
- design-centric video games
So yeah, it’s kind of a long list, huh? And I’m sure I’m missing something!
In general, you’ll usually find me most comfortable with modern styles, or a modern spin on a traditional medium. I may quilt, but not like a grandma (though I mean no offense to any grandmas or older ladies)!
Let me show you some recent examples of what I’ve been working on.
If any of those look interesting to you, feel free to ask about my process! I would love to share tips with anyone curious. It’s highly likely I’ll blog about it in the future at some point, though, so stay tuned!
I hope you’ll join me as I struggle (and hopefully succeed) to figure out what I’m doing. Let’s make stuff together!